One of the first Jewish families, which began to play an important role in Siedlce in the second half of the 18th century, was the Greenberg family. They later grew and became a very large family.
The first father of the family was Rabbi Chaim Greenberg, who was already wealthy at the time. He had plenty of property in Siedlce, houses and plots, which of course, was inherited by his family later.
In the Siedlce archive, the will of Rabbi Chaim Greenberg was found, written in Hebrew in 1790, instructing his eldest son, David, to collect 10,000 zloty from the municipality for the lot he sold it. Apparently these are the lots on which the District Court buildings now stand.
Rabbi Chaim Greenberg had another son, Abraham, and one daughter – Hinda.
The Greenberg family was probably the first to realize the importance of teaching children the language of the country. For example, we find in a local Polish newspaper from 1824, a list of students who have completed elementary school, including the name of Ms. Hinda Greenberg from Siedlce, who received an honorable mention for academic excellence.