Siedlce is a county town within the area of Województwo Mazowieckie, located around 100 km east of Warsaw, on the main road from Berling through Warsaw to Minsk and Moscow. Siedlce was and still is a major intersection for railways leading fron south and west towards the north and the east. Just before WW-II there were around 40,000 citizens in Siedlce, from whom about 40% were Jews, living mainly in the city center.
According to church sources Jews inhabited Siedlce as early as 1577. During the prohibitions of T’H T”T (1648-1649) the entire community died out by Chmielnicki’s gangs, although the chronicles